PROPERTY INVESTMENT WITH BONDTILLI
Bondtilli property investment UK company is dedicated to helping our clients from all around the world invest most effectively in the property market of the UK. From the highest yielding property deals to the property investment courses, and the one to one mentorship on property investment, Bondtilli property investment company can help anyone and everyone build and manage their portfolio, as well as save them time and money on every property that they buy.
THE ULTIMATE GUIDE TO THE PORTUGUESE GOLDEN VISA PROGRAM
– The Application for The Portuguese Golden Visa
– Getting The Documentation
– Submitting The Application
– What Are The Advantages of The Golden Visa?
– The Requirements for Obtaining The Golden Visa for the country of Portugal, And Much More…
The Portuguese Golden Visa Program is one of the most popular programs in its category not only in Europe but in the entire world as well. There is a wide array of good reasons for this, and they include –
– The applicants for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program may choose from a wide range of relatively affordable investment options which will give them not only residency within the country of Portugal, but also full-fledged citizenship in five to six years.
– The applicants for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program are only required to spend seven days per year in the country of Portugal.
– While a resident of the country of Portugal, the applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program is allowed to travel freely within the entirety of the Schengen area.
– Once they become a citizen of the country of Portugal, the applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program may live and work anywhere in the EU / EEA and get the fourth-best passport in the world for nomads and global citizens.
– Unlike many other Golden Visa programs in the world, the Portuguese Golden Visa Program has not been blacklisted by the OECD.
– the country of Portugal is a stable and safe country which provides its citizens with an excellent and simultaneously affordable quality of life, good healthcare and educational options, and well-connected airports.
Unfortunately, most of the information that one can find when searching about the Portuguese Golden Visa Program online is often unreliable, biased, or out-of-date.
For that reason, when writing this extensive guide to the Portuguese Golden Visa Program, we have enlisted the help of an independent lawyer who boasts several years of experience in assisting clients with their applications for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program.
Established back in the year 2012, the Portuguese Golden Visa Program has enabled the citizens of countries that do not belong to the EU / EEA to obtain a special residency permit for a five-year investment in the country of Portugal.
The thing that makes this permit unique is the fact that the investor is only required to spend about seven days per year in the country of Portugal in order to remain eligible for the program and maintain their residency, while still being able to reap all the benefits of being a resident of European Union – the benefits which include visa-free travel throughout the entirety of the Schengen area.
While the Portuguese Golden Visa Program has already benefited more than sixty-five hundred of investors so far, it has also proven itself beneficial for the economy of the country of Portugal as well. As of the writing of this guide, the total investment made into the country of Portugal as a direct result of the Portuguese Golden Visa Program has reached a whopping four billion Euros.
This is excellent news for prospective investors as the Portuguese Golden Visa Program has gained broad support from nearly all of the greatest political parties in the country. While it was the conservative government that has introduced the program back in the year 2012, the current socialist coalition of the government has expanded it after it has seized power back at the end of 2015.
By far, the leading share of the country of Portugal Golden Visas has been issued to the Chinese national investors – even though their share in the program has been in decline recently -, followed by the Brazilian investor, then South Africans, Turks, and Russians citizens.
STUDENT ACCOMMODATION PROPERTY INVESTMENT
Attracting increasing numbers of international students, the overseas students represent the majority of the demand that drives the purpose-built student accommodation – the PBSA – property market in the United Kingdom.
Searching for high quality purpose-built student accommodation property in the top university towns and cities across the United Kingdom.
With more than two point three million students in the country, there is a sizable demand for purpose-built student accommodation property developments.
According to a report which has been conducted and published by Knight Frank, there is a structural under-supply of purpose-built student accommodation in the United Kingdom.
The United Kingdom boasts one of the largest and most prestigious systems of universities and higher education facilities in the world.
BUY TO LET PROPERTY INVESTMENT
The main advantage that the Northern cities and regions have against London and the South East regions are significantly more affordable house prices.
The average house price in London is an astonishing £726,169, compared to Liverpool where the average house price is a mere £152,406.
With this prices in mind, as well as the additional fees that are based on the value of the property, it should come as no surprise that in addition to achieve a good yield on a London property, the rents must be astronomical, while in Liverpool as an example this clearly is not the case.
Prices of properties, and more particularly: houses, have dramatically risen in the South Eastern parts of the UK and in London. Rent prices in these areas have also risen, but at a much slower and lesser rate. This results in good yields on property investments in these areas being nearly impossible to achieve.
Even higher yields can be achieved through property purchase below market value due to its significantly lower investment price.
Are commercial investments, which are generally low entry, a viable alternative for those individuals who, perhaps due to the fears surrounding Brexit, do not currently feel comfortable investing much capital in the UK property?
Many UK property developers lost millions of Pounds, which has in turn made them cautious about working with lenders and, consequentially, more open to alternative methods of finance.
Other obstacles that the UK property developers have faced include the fact that the costs of property developments have been going up.
This increase in the property construction costs has been a result of a number of different factors.
– After Brexit building materials have become more expensive for Britain to import, the Pound has fallen, and the costs of labour have also increased.
As a result of credit crunch, many UK property developers experienced withdrawals of funding between the years 2008 and 2010.
– Mortgage lenders simply pulled their funding and took ownership of the developments.
OFF-PLAN PROPERTY INVESTMENTS
The reasons behind the skepticism may be several misconceptions that are associate with the off plan property investment that scare the potential investors away, and they are likely to have a number of questions to ask when they decide that they wish to invest in off plan property.
This type of property investment is mainly advertised to those investors who are using the advanced technology of the computer generated imagery, which is created for the purposes of showing the potential buyers what the finished product should look like.
If one is an avid investor, they may have already pondered the possibility of investing in an off plan property, but due to skepticism, possibly, they have not gone through with it just yet.
Off plan property investment is one of the most popular types of property investment ventures in the United Kingdom. What is off plan property though? Purchasing off plan property refers to the process of purchasing a property that is yet to be built or is still under construction.
LOAN NOTE INVESTMENTS
In spite of the fact that the average asking price for property in the city of London had fallen below six hundred thousand Pounds for the first time in three years, the values of property in the capitol city of the United Kingdom have still increased at a rate that is far higher than anywhere else in England over the last few decades which has, in other words, simply priced out a significant number of investors.
That is why the increasing numbers of investors are seeking, instead, the prices that are more affordable while offering higher returns at the same time, and for that reason all these investors are having to look at other, new areas of the United Kingdom, outside of the city of London.
In the longstanding buy to let property investment market stronghold that is the city of London, the rates and volumes of property investment purchases had fallen significantly in the year of 2018, when a five point eight percent decrease in property sales had been recorded.
For the first time in history, the capitol city of the United Kingdom is no longer the region of the country with the greatest number of sales for buy to let property.
HOTEL ROOM INVESTMENT
“In 2017 the UK hotel market experienced a substantial uplift in investment activity, with investment volumes reaching five billion Pounds increasing thirty five percent year on year with over two point five billion Pounds from foreign investors”- the PWC.
The recently weakened Pound has continued to draw even greater numbers of tourists, and has invited even more domestic “staycation” holidays, where the people of the UK go on holidays domestically rather than internationally, all of which has resulted in the record high occupancy rates of the hotel rooms for sale, of up to seventy seven percent.
“Most commentators agree that moving forward into 2018, the UK hotel industry is set to expand even further and despite fears over Brexit negotiations, growth is forecast to continue” – the PWC.
“UK tourist spending was expected to reach twenty five point seven billion Pounds billion by the end of 2017, a fourteen percent increase year on year and the strongest growth for five years” – the PWC.
COMMERCIAL PROPERTY INVESTMENT
These platforms have allowed capital to be gathered together in one place from many investors simultaneously. The investors, in turn, receive a fixed return per loan instead of just a share of the net profits.
Thus, the investment is secured against the property, in effect a backed credit agreement using the equity in the property which is owned by the borrower.
These types of commercial investments, such as crowdfunding, are best suited for those investors who do not want to get mortgage, do not want to invest as much capital, or simply want to spread their risk across the field rather than focusing it all in one place by investing with multiple different developers in various projects and regions.
Commercial property investments have become increasingly popular in the UK over the recent years. As a result of this, numerous platforms, such as LendInvest for example, have sprung up. These new platforms have allowed property investors in the UK to lend directly to borrows and vice-versa, and have cut out the middle man.
The office spaces in the UK are constantly evolving – Perhaps at one time, around ten years ago, office space meant sitting at a large communal table at Starbucks, for example, and taking advantage of their free WiFi.
Does office space make a good investment? Some of the primary drivers behind the rapid and sudden rise in the popularity of the office spaces in the UK include the increase in the numbers of contractors and start-up businesses in the UK that are seeking to rent office spaces at low costs and without long term contracts.
It helps that increasing numbers of people in the UK are beginning to use office spaces, which therefore drives up the profitability.
As a matter of fact, membership of an average “club” in the UK has increased by almost fifty percent in only two years.
Increasing numbers of profitable companies in the UK are looking to expand. According to the Global Survey from 2014, sixty six percent of profitable office spaces in the UK planned to expand, the percentage that shot up to seventy eight in 2016, in only two years.
While the UK has free health care services to provide for its people, there is still the issue of the shortage of available hospital beds that are suitable for the current elderly patients. What is going to happen once this demand increases even more?
Many counties in the UK are facing deficit as they struggle to make their balance of payments, which has then resulted in cutbacks being made on public spending.
Lancet Public Health medical journal has recently published a report in which they have suggested that two-point-eight million people older than sixty five in the UK will require social and nursing care by 2025. That is twenty five percent more people of that category than there were in 2015.
The increased demand for care homes and medical facilities is a direct result of an aging population, and while people living longer lives is generally speaking a good thing, one of the major downsides of it is the increased risk of dementia, for example.
There have been over sixty percent more recorded cases of dementia over the last seven years.
FEATURED PROPERTY INVESTMENTS
The initial application for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program is now submitted online, and it must include copies of the supporting documentation. After the initial request has been approved, the investor will be required to appear in person for the interview.
Originally, the interviews had taken place in the same district in which the investments had been made. Nowadays, however, the investor is allowed to book the interview in any district of their choosing. This change has helped reduce the overall waiting times, especially in the districts that are more popular than the others.
Usually, the application for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program is completed through the investor’s lawyer, and the process can take up for six months for approval. It is technically possible for one to do everything by themselves, but we do not recommend it.
If the investor wishes to bring along their family members their applications must be submitted simultaneously. A processing fee of five hundred and thirty-two point seventy Pounds is then paid for the initial applicant, and additional fees of eighty-three point ten Pounds is then paid for each of the remaining sub-applicants.
Once the application for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program has been approved, the investor will be required to pay the approval fee of fifty-two hundred and seventy-four point forty Pounds for each applicant. After ten to twenty days, the applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program should receive their residence card that is valid for one year.
The residency card that is obtained through the Portuguese Golden Visa Program will allow its holder to travel freely within the countries of the Schengen zone – the holder will also be required to bring their passport -, without applying for any visas.
In the first year, the Portuguese Golden Visa Program investor will be required to spend at least seven days in the country of Portugal.
To renew the residency permit and obtain a new residency card, the applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program needs to go through a renewal process approximately one month before their current residence permit card expires.
During the renewal process, the applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program will be required to retake the biometrics – fingerprints, etc. -, provide up-to-date criminal records, and pay a fee of twenty-six hundred thirty-seven point twenty Pounds for each applicant. In addition to this, the processing fee is once more five hundred and thirty-two point seventy Pounds for the initial applicant, and eighty-three point ten Pounds for each other applicant – family member -.
While the process of obtaining the Golden Visa for the country of Portugal is not very complicated in on itself, it does involve gathering a lot of documentation – both in the country of Portugal and the country of the applicant’s origin.
It would be highly beneficial for the applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program to work with a native English speaker in case that they do not already speak the language.
The steps for the initial application for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program look something like this –
– The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program obtains a fiscal number for the country of Portugal and opens a local bank account.
– The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program identifies and makes their investment – And makes sure to consult a local and independent lawyer before finalising anything.
– The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program gathers all of the required documentation from their country of origin – Three months before submitting their application for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program, at most.
– The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program has all the aforementioned documentation legalised and translated into English.
– The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program gathers all of the necessary documentation in the country of Portugal – their lawyer can help them with this.
– The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program fills out and submits the application for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program – This is typically done through their lawyer.
– The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program pays the processing fee.
– The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program waits until they receive preliminary approval.
– The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program then picks a date, time, and place where they will meet the immigration authorities of the country of Portugal in person for their interview.
– The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program must bring along the originals of the documentation that has been submitted with the application for the program to their in-person interview.
– The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program then waits for approval.
– The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program receives their residency card.
– The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program repeats a substantial portion of the same process at the end of the first and third year.
Now, let us take a closer look at some of the aforementioned steps.
We will not be describing this particular part of the process in detail here as we have already explained it in great detail in our other two guides.
The reason which the applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program needs these for is that they need a confirmation of a UK-based bank that they have transferred the funds and made their investment. The applicant needs a fiscal number for the country of Portugal in order to be able to open a bank account in the country of Portugal.
The process is not complicated and it can be completed in less than a day. In order to obtain the Portuguese fiscal number as someone without a fixed legal address within the EU / EEA, the applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program will need a UK representative for the tax authorities. This role can be filled by their lawyer.
The following are the things that one will always need to gather for their Portuguese Golden Visa Program application –
– An applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program will always have to gather and provide a valid passport.
– An applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program will always have to gather and provide evidence that they are legally present in the country of Portugal – Such as their visa, entry stamps, etc.
– The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program will always have to gather and provide proof that they are covered by any kind of UK-based healthcare insurance that will cover them for the length of their residency in the country of Portugal – Or for a shorter period, but with automatic renewal.
– The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program will always have to gather and provide their criminal records from their country of origin, and / or from the country – or countries – where they have been living for more than a year. It is essential that the extract of the criminal records have been issued within three months of the online application submission, and have been certifiably translated into English.
– The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program will always have to complete and provide a form which authorises UK authorities to get an extract of their UK criminal records.
– The applicant for Portuguese Golden Visa Program will always have to gather and provide a sworn statement in which they declare that they will comply with all the minimum investment requirements – The amount and the five year period.
– The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program will always have to gather and provide the documents that demonstrate their good standing with the British Tax and Customs Authority and the Social Security systems. These must be issued no more than forty-five days prior to their online application submission.
– The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program will always have to gather and submit a receipt which demonstrates that they have already paid the application processing fee.
The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program will always have to gather and provide specific documentation in relation to their investment – see below.
It is worth noting once more that all of the documentation – unless otherwise noted – needs to be issued within no more than ninety days prior to the online application submission.
Any document which has been issued by a foreign entity has to be legalised – e.g. with an apostille if the applicant’s country of origin has signed the Hague convention.
In addition to this, any document which has been issued in a foreign language needs to be translated and certified.
For any documentation that the applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program needs to collect in / from the country of Portugal, their lawyer can help them out a lot, including the documentation in regards to their chosen investment.
The type of additional documentation that the applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program will need depends on their chosen form of investment.
The easiest and the safest option for the applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program is to let their lawyer handle it and guide them through the application process. However, if one insists on doing it themselves, the following are the steps that they should take –
– The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program should go to the application registration form.
– The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program should fill it out and upload all of the supporting documentation – legalised and translated -. The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program should make sure that everything is correct in order to avoid paying additional costs and waste precious time. If they have a lawyer, they should have him or her look over everything before they submit it.
– Once the Portuguese immigration authorities have analysed the application and the documentation, the applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program should pay the processing fee/s.
– A few weeks after the payment has been made, the applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program may select a date and a location for the personal interview – This is done through an online calendar provided on the website -. If the applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program is not already based in the country of Portugal, they should make sure to pick a date when they and their family – if applicable – can all travel to the country of Portugal.
– The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program should show up for the interview upon the agreed date and time. They should make sure to bring the original version of all the documentation that they had submitted online as part of their application.
– The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program should wait a few months until they get notified that their residence permit card can be issued. At this point, they may pay the remainder of the application fee – fifty-two and twenty-four point sixty Pounds per person.
– The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program may shortly thereafter pick up their residency card.
The new residency card is valid for two more years. During this period of time, the applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program will need to be in the country of Portugal for at least fourteen days – consecutive or non-consecutive -.
At the end of the third year, another renewal process will take place. It is basically identical to the renewal process at the end of the first year that we have described above.
The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program now has another residency card that is valid for another two years. Once again, the applicant will be required to be in the country of Portugal for fourteen days during this time period, either consecutive or non-consecutive.
After the fifth year, the applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program may apply for permanent residency, and then for the full citizenship.
It is, however, worth noting here that, while the applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program is now eligible for permanent residency and citizenship at the same time, they cannot yet apply for citizenship directly, without obtaining the permanent residency permit first.
However, this will most likely become possible within a year, but it will depend on some new regulations that are making their way through the political system of the country of Portugal as we speak.
Why Invest in The City of Birmingham?
The city of Birmingham is home to four major universities – the University of Birmingham, the Birmingham City University, the Aston University, and the Newman University. The city of Birmingham is also surrounded by additional twenty universities all across the West Midlands region of the United Kingdom, all of which are reachable within an hour.
The continual development and investment into the city of Birmingham have influenced both the residents in and outside of the city to begin taking advantage of what this amazing city has to offer. Most notable is the fact that increasing numbers of people are now leaving other cities in the United Kingdom, like the city of London, in search of cheaper alternative lifestyles, with the city of Birmingham appearing to be at the top of the list for many.
The city of Birmingham has also experienced significant growth of its population over the recent years, and the most notable increase in this regard had taken place between the year of 1911 and the year of 1921.
Why Invest in The City of Bradford?
The city of Bradford is a ‘producer city’. There are thirteen hundred manufacturing businesses in the city of Bradford that employ twenty-four thousand and seven hundred people, which accounts for twelve point eight per cent of the total number of employees in the city of Bradford, compared to only nine per cent in Great Britain as a whole.
The city of Bradford has twenty-four hundred textile manufacturing jobs, even today, and another ninety-four hundred jobs in other textile and clothing related industries such as – chemicals, retail, distribution, etc. – including companies such as – the Marks and Spencer, the Christeyns, the Freemans Grattan, and the Damartex, among others.
The city of Bradford is a centre for digital technologies as it is home to well-renowned companies in the industry such as – the Pace -, who is the number one design and manufacturing company of digital set-top boxes in the world, and – the Radio Design -, who is an award-winning world-leader in wireless telecommunications product design. The term “World Wide Web” has first been used in a journal that has been published by Emerald, a publishing company based in the city of Bradford.
Why Invest in The City of Halifax?
The city of Halifax is a ‘producer city’. There are thirteen hundred manufacturing businesses in the city of Halifax that employ twenty-four thousand and seven hundred people, which accounts for twelve point eight per cent of the total number of employees in the city of Halifax, compared to only nine per cent in Great Britain as a whole.
Dating back to the 12th century, the city of Halifax boasts a rich industrial heritage which has been focused primarily on the production of wool, and carpets, as well as on the machine tooling industry.
Bondtilli now offers a growing portfolio of buy to let properties that are available for investment in the city of Halifax and its surrounding city region. If one would like to receive additional information on properties in the city of Halifax that are available to investors, they should contact us as soon as possible and receive their free online information pack.
In striking contrast to its industrial past, the modern-day city of Halifax is a diverse and vibrant location that is rapidly expanding and which seeks to capitalise on the more affordable property that can be found on offer throughout the region.
Why Invest in The City of Liverpool?
As with many cities of the North region of the United Kingdom, the city of Liverpool and its property market is fairly fast-paced so it is generally quite straight forward for the investors who are looking to expand their portfolios, or for those who wish to exit their investment. There is no shortage of interest for buy to let property in the city of Liverpool.
The city of Liverpool is home to three prestigious universities and as such, there is always a strong demand for the rental purpose-built student accommodation property.
– The city of Liverpool boasts a healthy and growing local economy.
– The city of Liverpool boasts excellent affordability even when compared to other cities of the North region of the United Kingdom.
– The city of Liverpool is home to three universities, and the Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts – the LIPA – also attracts great numbers of students each year.
– The city of Liverpool has a growing demographic of young adult professionals.
– The city of Liverpool is a major tourist destination in the United Kingdom, both for the internal and external tourism, which creates a strong demand for short term buy to let properties.
Why Invest in The City of London?
Property prices in the central area of the city of London are expected to stabilise after the declines in 2016. This is, in part, a result of the lower value of the Pound and the strong appetite for the UK property from foreign investors.
Simultaneously, property transactions in the UK’s capitol, as well as some other parts of the country, are expected to fall, by more than eight per cent in some places in the UK as well.
The effects that Brexit may have on the UK’s property market are expected to be most visible in the city of London. – The Knight Frank has already predicted a one per cent fall in property prices in the UK’s capitol and a one per cent growth of property prices elsewhere in the UK.
As of now, the city of London looks set to lose out to some other UK cities, such as Manchester and Birmingham, where property prices are rising more rapidly ahead of earnings.
Why Invest in The City of Newcastle?
The Manchester International Airport and the Birmingham International Airport are situated thirty-five and fifty-four miles from the Newcastle-under-Lyme district respectively, and both are easily accessible from the town of Staffordshire.
The Newcastle-under-Lyme district has evolved to become a hub of education and service with both the Keele University and the Royal Stoke University Hospital – which is one of the largest hospitals in the United Kingdom as a whole –, being situated in the town of Staffordshire.
In addition to all of this, the University of Staffordshire is situated in the nearby Stoke-on-Trent area, where the university campuses from across the country are consolidated.
The Newcastle-under-Lyme district is a historic market area which is located in the county of Staffordshire, and it forms part of a wider area that is also known as the Stoke-on-Trent area.
The University of Northumbria has been given an overall ranking of 65th in the Times’ Good University Guide in the year 2018. For every place, there are six point five applications.
Why Invest in The City of Preston?
As with many cities of the North region of the United Kingdom, the city of Preston and its property market is fairly fast-paced so it is generally quite straight forward for the investors who are looking to expand their portfolios, or for those who wish to exit their investment. There is no shortage of interest for buy to let property in the city of Preston.
The city of Preston is home to three prestigious universities and as such, there is always a strong demand for the rental purpose-built student accommodation property.
– The city of Preston boasts a healthy and growing local economy.
– The city of Preston boasts excellent affordability even when compared to other cities of the North region of the United Kingdom.
– The city of Preston is home to three universities.
– The city of Preston has a growing demographic of young adult professionals.
Why Invest in The City of Sheffield?
The city of Sheffield is a city which can serve as a perfect demonstration of a fusion of urban and rural which is also uniquely English. The city of Sheffield is one of the greenest cities in all of Europe with sixty-one per cent of the city land made up of green spaces.
The massive volumes of investment which have been trusted to the city of Sheffield, especially the investments which have been granted to the city of Sheffield under the wing of the Northern Powerhouse project, have been transforming this city into a lively and modern destination. Buy to let property market of the city of Sheffield is steadily climbing on the agenda of many potential investors.
A third of the city lies across the Peak District – the first-ever national park in the United Kingdom -. This stunning natural landscape has also served as the stage for many a poignant British drama.
The affordable property investment opportunities and the potential for high rental yields make the city of Sheffield one of the best places to invest in buy to let property market in the United Kingdom.
Any “third country” national is eligible for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program. This means that anyone except the citizens of the country of Portugal, and/or the citizens of the EU and EEA may apply for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program after completing a suitable investment into the country of Portugal.
One can make the investment as an individual or through a legal entity provided that they meet certain predisposed requirements.
The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program will also need to meet the – minimal – physical presence requirements which are listed below.
– The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program must maintain their investment for a minimum period of five years.
– The applicant must spend a minimum of seven days in the country of Portugal during the first investment year, and then no less than fourteen days for each subsequent two-year period.
The investment made through the Portuguese Golden Visa Program needs to meet at least one of the following requirements –
– The Portuguese Golden Visa Program investment must take the form of a transfer of capital of at least one million Pounds.
– The Portuguese Golden Visa Program investment must lead to the creation of at least ten jobs.
– The Portuguese Golden Visa Program investment must take the form of property investment with a value of at least five hundred thousand Pounds.
– The Portuguese Golden Visa Program investment must be put towards the acquisition of property the construction of which has been completed at least thirty years ago, or which is located in an area of the country which has been designated for regeneration. The minimal investment value requirement has been reduced to three hundred and fifty thousand Pounds.
– The Portuguese Golden Visa Program investment must take the form of a transfer of capital of at least three hundred and fifty thousand Pounds that are invested in research which is carried out by either public or private scientific research institutions which are part of the national scientific and technological system of the country of Portugal.
– The Portuguese Golden Visa Program must take the form of a transfer of capital of at least two hundred and fifty thousand Pounds that are invested in support of artistic production, or recovery, or maintenance of national cultural heritage of the country of Portugal.
– The Portuguese Golden Visa Program must take the form of a transfer of capital of at least three hundred and fifty thousand Pounds that are invested for the purposes of acquiring units in investment or venture capital funds the aim of which is to provide capital to companies that meet certain requirements.
– The Portuguese Golden Visa Program must take form of a transfer of capital of at least three hundred and fifty thousand Pounds that are invested for the purposes of incorporating or increasing the share capital of a company that has a registered office in the country of Portugal, in addition to the creation of five permanent jobs for a period of three years.
FEATURED STUDENT ACCOMMODATION INVESTMENTS
In short, after obtaining the Golden Visa for the country of Portugal, one can –
– Enter the country of Portugal without a special visa.
– Live and work in the country of Portugal.
– Bring their family with them.
– Apply for permanent residency and / or citizenship in the country of Portugal after five years.
– Access the healthcare and educational systems of the country of Portugal – on the same basis as the Portuguese citizens.
– Travel freely throughout the entirety of the Schengen Area.
The Schengen Zone is comprised of the following countries – Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. The countries that are members of the European Union, but not members of the Schengen Zone, – Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, and Romania – are all required to join the Schengen area in the future, but as a resident of the country of Portugal, the holder of the Golden Visa can already travel there visa-free.
As of 2019, the applicants for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program need to pay a fife hundred and thirty-two point seven Pounds worth of processing fee when submitting their application – plus the eighty-three point one Pounds worth of processing fee for each additional family member – followed by the fifty-three hundred and twenty-four point six Pounds worth of initial issuance fee per person.
The two renewals – at the end of the year one and at the end of the year three – are charged at twenty-six hundred and sixty-six point three Pounds per person. The applicants for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program will also need to pay the five hundred and thirty-two point seven Pounds processing fee when submitting each renewal request – plus the eighty-three point one Pounds per each family member.
These rates keep increasing very slightly each year to keep up with the inflation.
The additional costs may include the cost of hiring lawyers, as well as any costs of legalising and translating the supporting documentation.
It is our sincere recommendation that they do. The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program is making a sizable investment in order to gain residency in the country of Portugal – and eventually citizenship -, so we would not recommend taking any chances with the application process. While the lawyer fees are never insignificant, they are still considerably cheaper than making some formal error, making a bad investment, or one that does not qualify.
Most law firms charge upwards of five to six thousand Pounds for the primary applicant, with discounts for any additional family members. Most law firms also offer some discounts for the renewal of the Golden Visa – at the end of the year one and the end of year three.
The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program can expect to pay about thirty thousand Pounds in lawyer fees four a family of four – for the initial application and the two renewals – when they hire one of the larger firms.
Alternatively, they may hire an independent lawyer that specialises in the Golden Visas. In that case, the price is likely to be much more competitive, and one can expect a better and more personal followup.
\While this may be a leading question, the answer is definitely – Yes!
Some lawyer firms are taking advantage of the applicants for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program by offering investment options – most typically in the property market – that look simultaneously nice on paper and meet the minimum required investment amounts. What they often fail to mention, however, is that they are selling the property for a price that is far above its real current market value.
It is also not uncommon to see firms offering properties to the applicants for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program for the convenient sum of five hundred thousand Pounds that, in reality, is barely worth four hundred thousand to four hundred and fifty thousand Pounds.
This is how these firms may offer a Portuguese Golden Visa Program applicant a “great deal” on their legal fees. However, in reality, the investor is paying much, much more than they would if they sourced their investment independently and used an independent lawyer or law firm for their application process.
One should also consider hiring an independent broker / service provider in order to make sure that they make the best possible property investment.
Yes, yes they can! The applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program can bring their spouse, as well as their kids – as long as they are younger than eighteen at the time of the application, or enrolled in studies and being financially supported by the initial applicant. In some circumstances, they can even bring their parents and / or in-laws, as long as the applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program can demonstrate that they are supporting them.
Yes. Anything that is not in English needs to be certifiably translated – in addition to being legalised -. Not even the documents that have been issued in English are accepted.
It can be a good idea to perform this in the applicant’s country of origin, but it is also possible to get it done in the country of Portugal.
Legal residency and tax residency are two independent concepts, and one does not necessarily become a tax resident of the country of Portugal by obtaining and utilising the Golden Visa.
Even if they do not ever become fully a tax resident in the country of Portugal, the applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program will probably have to pay tax in regards to their investment in the country of Portugal.
In either case, becoming a tax resident in the country of Portugal can be quite lucrative, especially for the first ten years.
According to the PwC, one will become a tax resident in the country of Portugal if they fulfil either of the following conditions –
– One will become a tax resident in the country of Portugal if they spent more than one hundred and eighty-three days, consecutive or not, in the country of Portugal in any twelve-month period starting or ending in the fiscal year concerned.
– One will become a tax resident of the country of Portugal if, regardless of spending less then one hundred and eighty-three days in the country of Portugal, they maintain a residence – i.e. a habitual residence – in the country of Portugal during any day of the period referred above.
No, this will not be required. Although, if one does not do this, they will have to cover many health care costs themselves. In that case, it might be prudent to get private health insurance instead.
While this may vary over time, the processing time currently stands at around five months. It used to take much longer but the ability to book the interview appointments online at the offices outside of the city of Lisbon has helped cut the wait time significantly.
Owing to the changes made in the nationality law of the country of Portugal in the year 2018, the required period of residency before one may apply for citizenship in the country of Portugal has been reduced from six years to five years.
While the application processing for the citizenship may take a while, once granted, the application for a UK passport generally takes only about six working days. Per 2018, an ordinary passport costs sixty-five Pounds and is valid for five years.
Yes. In addition to making one’s investment as an individual, they may also make the investment through a legal entity, e.g. an investment or a holding company. It is essential they the applicant for the Portuguese Golden Visa Program is the only owner or member of the company, and that it is based in either the country of Portugal or another member state of the European Union.
If one still has some questions about this guide or the Golden Visa, they should feel free to post them below.
We will attempt to answer as best as we can, and may even add to their question – along with our answer – if we think it can benefit others.
Bondtilli has many years of experience in dealing with international investors and clients. Our skilled team of property professionals is more than happy to talk our clients through any questions they may have about investing in the property of the United Kingdom, using their expertise to find them a buy to let property investment opportunity that best fits their needs and requirements.
Bondtilli also creates property investment opportunities only in the best performing areas of the United Kingdom, such as the city of Manchester and the city of Liverpool. Our speciality is student, off-plan, and residential developments. Off-plan refers to investment property which is purchased while it is still in the construction phase.
This is what allows us to offer our clients below-market rates, and even the increased likelihood of their property growing in value over time. For a better insight into how Bondtilli can help investors with their overseas property investment, take a look at what our clients have had to say …
BONDTILLI has proven itself reliable, communicative, tenacious, and trustworthy by our clients in fighting for their interests. We know that investors are usually busy, hardworking individuals who don’t have time to shift through piles of information, so we take it upon ourselves to filter through investment information and select the most crucial and valuable information for what they seek to achieve. Our team of experts will eagerly share the knowledge they have acquired through years of experience working as property investment consultants. On top of our other services, we regularly publish property investment advice to help potential investors make informed decisions.
A dwindling pension income and the intlow erest rates that the banks are offering means that individuals are not as financially comfortable as they once were. Our clients are often trying to invest in property to assure another income as they enter retirement. Investing in property, if done wisely, provides individuals with opportunity to supplement their income, alleviating some financial stress they may face. Our team of experts sources the best investment opportunities and our consultants advise and support our clients throughout the whole process, ensuring our clients get exactly what they look for out of the whole experience.